- 30//06//2015 The medal for the third year of the Papacy of Francis will bear the image of Saint Teresa
- 24//06//2015 Peter’s Pence
- 11//06//2015 Carmelites in Egypt
- 28//05//2015 Interview with the ocd Superior General, Father Saverio Cannistrà
- 17//05//2015 A new saint for the Discalced Carmelite Order
- 14//05//2015 General Definitors
- 07//05//2015 The General Chapter has re-elected as Superior General our brother Saverio Cannistrà
- 05//05//2015 The General Chapter being conducted in Ávila has its own webpage
The medal for the third year of the Papacy of Francis will bear the image of Saint Teresa
On June 29th, the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, the commemorative medal for the third year of his papacy was presented to Pope Francis. By the express request of the Pope, the medal was not minted with his portrait on its reverse, but with the portrait Saint Teresa of Jesus instead.
This decision is yet another gesture of Pope Francis on the 5th Centenary of the Birth of Saint Teresa of Jesus.
The Father General, Saverio Cannistrà, on being made aware of the news, addressed a personal letter to the Holy Father thanking him for this gesture to Holy Mother Teresa, one among many signs of appreciation that Pope Francis has directed to the Teresian Carmel during his papacy.
The new Province of the Philippines
P. Óscar I. Aparicio
As many people know, the Philippine Islands are named after the Spanish monarch Philip II. As a matter of fact, the culture, cuisine, art, and Catholic religion of the Republic of the Philippines is due in great part to the influence of Spain. These days, the official language is no longer Spanish, but English and its native Tagalog. However, if we browse around a bit, many of the common Filipino surnames are clearly of Hispanic origin.
The Discalced Carmelite nuns arrived in the Philippines before the friars, as almost always happened. They founded the first monastery in Jaro (Iloilo City) in 1929. The Discalced Carmelite Friars arrived in the Philippines in 1947. The Washington Province Fathers were in charge of the pastoral care of the prelature of Infanta. The prelature was canonically established in 1950, and the prefect was ordained bishop in 1953. The first prefect was Father Patrick of Saint Cecilia (Shanley), a North American. He was followed by two Filipino Carmelites: Julio Javier Lavayen and Rolando Tria Tirona.
In 1951, nine Carmelite religious were in charge of pastoral activity in Infanta, Luzon; five were from the Washington Province, two from Ireland, and two from Italy (one from the Province of Venice and the other from Tuscany). During that time, they were also in charge of the parishes of Baler, Burdeos (Polillo Island), and Casiguran, in addition to the parish of Infanta.
After that time, there were two Discalced Carmelite Delegations in the Philippines: the Washington Province Delegation and the Irish Delegation. On October 26, 1977, both Delegations were merged to create the Commissariat of the Discalced Carmelites of the Philippine Islands. In 1995, the Commissariat, under the Patronage of Our Lady of the Philippines, had 38 members, among which were two bishops and 17 priests.
In the recent Chapter celebrated in Ávila in May 2015, the Commissariat of the Philippines was elevated to the juridical status of Province. The Province currently has five houses (Bacalod, Davao-Tugkob, Jaro-Iloilo, and two in Quezon City) and 51 friars, according to the 2013 conspectus.
This is a brief summary of Carmelite history in the Filipino nation.
The Discalced Carmel in pictures
"The Discalced Carmel in pictures" is an exhibition of 60 photographs spanning the period from the end of the 19th century to the mid-20th century. It merges places and moments that were significant in the history of this religious order. The selection is divided into four facets through which the history of the Order is shown: its origin on Mount Carmel, Saint Teresa of Jesus and her reform, the daily life of the friars and nuns of the order, and missionary work. The exhibit aims to illustrate to society the work of the Discalced Carmelites specifically through photography as a custodian of memory.
The photographs are selected from the archives of the Generalate in Rome. They have been digitized and restored by Matías García Posadas, professor of photo retouching at the Center for Higher Learning in Madrid. One of the photographs dating to the beginning of the century shows the famous Ecstasy of Saint Teresa sculpture of Bernini. Another shows a water procession in India. All the photographs are original and have been processed and framed to ensure their preservation during their transport.
The photo chosen for the poster is a picture of Father Serapio of the Resurrection taken in India around 1922. He was a Carmelite priest from Álava who from his ordination worked in the missions in India. The picture was chosen as the cover of the exhibit in homage to the missionary work of Carmelites throughout the world.
A catalog including a chronology and biography will memorialize the exhibit. Its author is Father Óscar Aparicio, curator of the exhibit and Archivist of the order.
The exhibit will be shown in several Spanish cities.
Sculpture of Saint Teresa in Asunción, Paraguay
As part of the festivities for the 5th Centenary of Saint Teresa of Jesus, the Teresian Carmelite family in Paraguay has carried out several activities to celebrate the gift of Saint Teresa of Jesus to our Catholic Church and to all humanity. The planning committee of the celebrations for the 5th Centenary in Paraguay had the idea of beautifying the central promenade of the avenue in our capital city which bears the name of our saint, Avenida Santa Teresa, with a monument commemorating the 500th year of her birth. Simultaneously, it will reflect the affection and admiration that many Paraguayans feel for Saint Teresa, known and renown throughout the world as an extraordinary women.
With this in mind, a dialogue was begun with the Municipality of Asunción. From the very beginning, our city was in favor of this initiative and gave its blessing to the creation of a sculpture by the daughters of Teresa of Jesus: the Discalced Carmelite nuns, specifically the Community of Discalced Carmelite Nuns of Encarnación, Paraguay.
The image of Saint Teresa, which in principle would take months to make, was finished in 15 days of intense craftsmanship. This sculpture is handmade by a Discalced Carmelite Sister. It weighs about 600 kilos and measures 2.04 meters in height and 1 meter in width. It is made of steel, concrete, and plaster, and is finished with exterior paint.
The image reflects the love Saint Teresa had for Jesus. She holds in her left hand the Redeeming Cross of the Lord, close to her heart. In her right hand she holds a walking staff in representation of her journeys along the roads of Castile and Andalusia founding her monasteries. It is also a sign of authentic Christian faith that never closes in upon itself, but is shared and spread to others. It is therefore a work that shows a missionary Teresa, in love and journeying. The sculpture also exhibits a smile, because only in God can we find complete joy, and Teresa also witnessed to this joy.